Simple and Elegant Beef Chili
The dark notes of our cacao deepen and intensify the flavors of traditional beef chili for a savory treat like none other.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 orange or yellow bell peppers
- 3 to 5 jalapeño peppers
- 1/4 cup mild chili powder
- 1 tablespoon DAGOBA Cacao Powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 pounds ground beef chuck
- 2 (14 1/2-ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- Cilantro leaves
- Sour cream or yogurt
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a Dutch oven. Add the onions and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes, until the onions are softened. Add the bell peppers and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 more minutes, until the peppers begin to soften.
Add the jalapeños, chili powder, cacao powder, salt, coriander, cumin, oregano and cayenne. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in the chuck and cook, stirring, until no longer pink. Add the tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 20 to 25 minutes, until the chili is slightly thickened.
Transfer to serving bowls and garnish with the cilantro and sour cream. Serve hot.